Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:18:18 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Sink Faucet/Pump Upgrade
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM, David Beierl<dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > At 01:48 PM 6/27/2009, neil N wrote: >> >> BTW, the pump itself ain't cheap. ~ 100$ Cnd. with taxes. Cheaper in >> the U.S. so says Google. > > It's a fancier pump -- I suspect a three-chamber diaphragm pump instead of > centrifugal; Shurflo seems to be fond of them.  Incidentally ShurFlo is > considered the cheap low-class OEM pump by the marine fraternity, so don't > feel *too* bad about the price.  :-)  Also, pay *careful* attention to any > instructions about disinfecting the tank -- Shurflo has been known to > specify extremely small amounts of bleach (half-teaspoon in 20 gallons of > water sort of thing) and state firmly that larger amounts will destroy the > pump and be considered abuse.  I don't know whether that applies to this > pump.  In fact IIRC this developed in correspondence with the factory with > regard to a failed pump in a Vanguard-class sailboat, so it might be > advisable to check directly with them if the instructions aren't explicit. > > The newer ones used a tiny little centrifugal pump hung from its outlet hose > inside the tank.  Mine was made by Coleman-Germany.  VW wanted $125 for the > little POS after I froze and burst it in '92, so I stuck in a submersible > bilge pump I had lying around and never looked back.  And I recommend that > (300 gph submersible bilge pump for $15-20) for anyone looking to directly > replace the in-tank pump.  Output volume will be regulated by the hose and > spigot size.  The price is having to adapt the outlet spigot to a smaller > diameter. > > >  -- > David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ > '89 Po' White Star "Scamp" >

Thanks David. Good tips.

Yah I was curious about converting to an intank pump.

Next time.... ;)

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines