Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:36:27 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Re: regular vanagon on the beach?
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com>

I missed Friday..so

Stuck in sand?

We once watched a brand new 30' Southwind motor home 'go under' on Jauncalito (sp?) beach in Baja... Had a front row seat...about 300 meters back up the beach behind the soft sand. This Gringo came wheeling down the hard sand at low tide..looking all cool with his Corona in hand and his shiny new Mo-ho. He got out and fiddled around a little till the tide started rising again then he decided to turn around and get out of there...Uhh, didn't work. Couple of 4x4 motor heads tried towing him out but as soon as the wave action got to his tires each ebb and flow dropped the mo ho a couple more inches into the sand. It sank past the hubs in about 5 minutes! They tried to winch it out, hooked up in tandem, but just pulled the trucks closer to the waters edge... Poor guy just ended up watching the water come up to the bottom of the windshield, that tide. Next low tide, the sand was over the floor level..Came back past that beach in a couple of weeks...only some of the frame was there..same spot...Lottsa nice new siding on some of the local's houses... Moral? Never stop below the high tide mark in your vehicle...You may not get going again and getting stuck at low tide on a beach is not smart. Don Hanson