Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:41:02 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Filter "Update" Results
Comments: To: Keith Hughes <keithahughes@Q.COM>

Keith, I agree with everything you say from the technical side, but have a few quibbles from the practical side... At 03:20 PM 6/28/2009, Keith Hughes wrote: >>So, is it fair to say that a noisy FP may be caused by the pump delivering >>too much volume? >No it isn't. Cavitation *reduces* the liquid volume being pumped.

If you understand Dave's statement as implying "too much output [for the current inlet conditions to deliver without exceeding the maximum suction head]" then it makes sense.

>being high enough to create gasoline vapor bubbles (not "vacuum" >bubbles - ain't no such critter in a fluid system),

Vacuum is a relative thing in our earthbound existence -- I submit that if there's a small enough amount of vapor that the bubbles can collapse violently with noise and destructive potential, that calling them vacuum bubbles informally is quite legitimate.

>Wrong approach - you need to fix the actual problem which is a suction >side flow restriction

Agree in principle. However when you have a threshold cavitation problem that's not fixed by removing the inlet filter, I think slowing the pump could potentially put off more serious repairs for a long time.

>you are now. Slow it enough so that the regulator can't maintain 45psi

C'mon, Keith, clearly nothing I've suggested contemplates cutting the pump output in half, quite the reverse. :-)

Cheers, David

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"