Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:39:40 -0800
From:         Jeff Hartman <jeffreyleehartman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      exhaust head stud welded! to exhaust header flange

Hi, I want to thank list members who helped me find the correct oil pressure sender for my 86 vanagon. The good news: The new sender and washer has completely stopped my oil leak with no apparent damage to the engine which was 2.5 quarts low when I discovered the leak. The bad news: When I removed the heat shield, to get to the oil pressure sender I discovered that a previous owner (or repair shop) installed the front driver side exhaust headers by welding the stud directly to the exhaust flange. I had previously assumed the hex nut was just badly rusted. When I started to wire brush it (hoping the rest of the nut would disintegrate leaving the harder stud in tact, nice shiny welds around the perimeter of the stud appeared directly welding it to the exhaust flange and bracket for the heat shield.

I attempted a couple of times to write the list for advice about what to do next (because I would like to replace the exhaust pipes), but every time I tried, till now, I got so upset at the unknown person that installed it that way I couldn't complete the email. Several days, and deep breaths later, I am finally ready to ask for advice again from anyone who has a suggestion. The upper stud has been welded to the flange in the same way too. I haven't looked at the passenger side front head yet. I can send an image of the welded stud if that would help, but I am stumped again. Thanks for the umpteenth time for any ideas, Jeff Hartman Juneau, Alaska 1986 Vanagon 2.1 L