Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:09:14 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Calling all solar gurus

Three things in response to you question Ellen. First, I agree with Mark on his comments about those solar panels. They look much like the lightweight setup that Harbor Freight sells. I've looked at those up close. Very flimsy frame making them subject to damage with any little bit of rough handling. I've ended up with two 50 watt panels that I set up, clamped and wired together, that gives me a full 100 watts that keeps up with my 'fridge. But they are top end panels with a very strong frame. Second, how do you plan on using them? A permanent mounting on the roof of the rig or only deploy and hook up when camped? The latter means having a safe way to store them when not in use. Third, and the most important, what is the power draw of the refrigerator? I'm not familiar with the 'fridge in the ASI conversions. Can you dig out the info from any documentation you might have? Or maybe from a label on the refrigerator? Or maybe find the info from the name of the manufacturer and the model number. Getting that info will lead to being able to calculate how big a solar setup you might need. And glad to help on this one, BTDT with my Norcold.