Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:24:52 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Custom Westy interior
Comments: To: colorworks@gci.net

Very nice looking work. Obviously a 'labor of love'. The thing about doing work that is so nice, the amount of time it requires to get that kind of finish is big. After it is all done I'd be reluctant to chance scratching it all up by actually using the van like I like to use mine.. I am a cabinetmaker and shipwright by trade. When I got my GL van, I contemplated doing a nice interior (like the one here) and began planning it out but then 'reality' hit me...I'd have 60+ hours into a Vans interior...I found I could buy a complete, including tanks, pumps, and apliances, used Westie inside, complete and I could re-install that, for $300, in about 6hrs....I couldn't even buy materials for my planned custom interior for that.. So now, when I fill up the inside of the camper van with 2x6s or wet rowdy dogs, I don't worry much about wrecking, scratching or marring something I have tons of time and money in. It would be fun sometime to do a really nice custom interior...finished like a Swan sailboat or an Italian motoryacht...for someone who had lots of money and wasn't bothered about money for nice stuff. Or, if I wanted to bother with multiple vanagons, and kept one for "Sunday best" and one for everyday use I do one for myself.. Don Hanson