Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:14:40 -0700
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      How goods the firstaid kit in your Westfalia?

So I just got off from another long day of work teaching both youth and adult sailing lessons at the Marina today, my summer Job in Reno Nevada 2009, and I headed over to the local Chevron station to grab a cool drink. On my way In I see these two nice people, well dressed, sitting in the grass with a sign and a guitar. The sign read "$20 to get us to Truckee". I pulled my VW Bus into a parking spot and walked over to engage these nice young and surprisingly well dressed transients. Upon talking to them I stated "Well I don't have much money, so I can't help you to Truckee, but I thought i'd offer to buy you guys a cool drink, if that would help?". We got to talking and they said they were actually offering $20 for someone to drive them just over the border to Truckee, as I guess the cops in Nevada hate hitching rides while California is cool with it. They've been transient for 4 years now, from New Jersey, playing guitar along the way to get by! Well I was talking with them, and an older gentleman whom I later found out was 65 years old comes walking over and says something softly. I said to him "What's that I can't hear you?" as he grasps his chest and gives a breath asking to call 911!

Sure enough I bust out my trusty Cellular Phone and start dialing the numbers. I got some voice message and static, It didn't seem as If i were talking to anyone, so I ran inside the building instead. I get inside (Leaving Philip, the 65 year old heart attack victim, with the young couple) while I grabbed their phone. I spoke with the gentleman clerk and asked to borrow his phone to call 911, as a man was having trouble in their parking lot. I talked with 911 which had dispatched paramedics as I ran back out to see our man, at this point sitting on the curb having an awful lot of trouble breathing. We pulled out some paper and started writing down everything He said As we asked him a series of questions. We got a list of his current medications compiled, his past ailments, his name, etc while he drifted off and had further trouble breathing. He said he had open heart surgery years ago, had a history of chronic heart failure, and had just taken 3 "Nitros". His heart was definitely fibrillating based on his pulse, it was erratic and strange. By the time the fire department, followed closely by an ambulance arrived, he was in poor shape. I asked the Gas station attendant for an AED or even just a mouth barrier should I need to start CPR, but these words seemed very foreign to them.... yet they spoke perfect english.

The Paramedics took Philip away on a stretcher, after hooking him up to an AED and providing him with Oxygen. I do hope all is well with him. They arrived promptly and were top notch. It pays to have first aid training, and be in the right place at the right time!

I stopped to help to transients with a cold beverage, and ended up helping a man with a failing heart.

When I went into the store to purchase said beverages for my new friends, the gentleman clerk praised me with many graces, wished God's blessings upon myself and my family, and wished me a wonderful day. Safe travels were awarded too, and from, the transient couple.

What a way to end a long day!

Things would have been all that much less worrisome if I had a good firstaid kit in my Vanagon. Be sure to get a mouth barrier device, should you ever need to do CPR (and they are currently teaching just chest compressions though....).

Good day to all!

-Craig

'85GL turned WESTY

BOSTIG in the back