Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:52:24 -0700
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How goods the firstaid kit in your Westfalia?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Thats the question I had....I was recently told that the compressions only were the result of people worried about the risks of disease transmission, but that it proved to be within a very high effective margin of the traditional method (90+%) so they just went with that.... Actually some of the time now, they say just hook them up to an AED and call 911. It's clear they want to cover their butts as much as possible, and rightfully so..... But I agree there shouldn't be hesitation to act based on a piece of plastic you don't have.

The current Red Cross first aid training is even more ridiculous. EVERYTHING involves contacting a doctor or 911. "I'm a bit dehydrated"....."CALL 911!!!". "He has sunburn..." "CALL 911!!". It's clearly just a basic basic course on how to seek help, rather than how to give help. Funny how it's changed...... Just a few years ago I remember taking a course with the boyscouts that was 2 days long and very extreme. Heck, we learned how to properly deal with an accidental (or intentional) amputation. "Call 911" was not the first thing either..... (I think it was a backcountry rescue course).

Times have changed. I'm way too young to be saying that....

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in the back