Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:37:03 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Dashboard fan in 86 syncro vibrating badly...

I'm not sure who had the original question about the dashboard fan, but having spent nearly 10 hours rebuilding the whole heater box I do have a piece of advice. I purchased my replacement fan from the Bus Depot, and would suggest another source for the fan. The fan that I purchased from them vibrate the dashboard badly at high speed. It's okay on number 1, and 2, but on 3 or high it's terrible. Not sure where this thing is made, but it's definitely not original equipment. I would suggest trying to find an OEM fan as a replacement. This is no reflection on the Bus Depot service or other items they sell. I've actually had very good luck in most cases with them and find the customer service to be excellent. Just be careful about buying the cheap stuff, you get what you pay for. I would also suggest redoing the foam rubber on the flaps. It takes some time, but well worth the effort. Lastly, I installed some quick connectors on the wires to the fan, which makes life a lot easier for reinstallation. This is also a fine time to clean the grounds on the circular ground block above the fuse box and replace any old switches for the heater, AC, cigarette lighter, etc. If your wiper motor is questionable, now's the time to get it out of there as well. Lastly, make sure you get the black clips ( I think Van cafe has them) that holds the heater box together after you separate it into two halves. They are not very expensive, but I don't know how else to hold the heater box together without them. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Troy