Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jul 2009 10:49:28 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How goods the firstaid kit in your Westfalia?
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com>

dear do the right thing first ...

I have often provided CPR and other services as a first on the scene ... yes it can happen often enough to be a totally unremarkable event ... my wife seems to think i do something remarkable each time ... i think we are simply doing what is next in front of us .. anyway ... i have been first aid trained since 1980 or some such time like that... a plastic dam is a good idea indeed ... having said that if there is not one available ... i would not hesitate ... unless i knew the person was carrier of spit transmitted diseases ... and by the way .. the mouth is likely to be very dry at a time of crises ...

calling 911 first is simply to get the appropriate help on the way in a timely fashion sooner rather than later ... where i work presently ... (or more to the point who i work for) we work often out of cell range and very far from regular ambulance ... helicopter is ready at all times and available to be called ...

but the most important thing is the call for help is actually 5 or 6 on the list of things to do

1. Assess situation for safety of injured , those involved , self and public, 2. Take charge of situation and if possible appoint a crowd and traffic control person 3. Preserve scene for investigators 4. where no immediate danger exists assess injured 5. Attend to injured ... leaving them inplace where possible 6. contact ambulance or help with vitals

Although calling 911 is important ... rest assured you will not be able to calmly assist injured if you have 911 on the line from the get go ... they will have their host of questions ... which will to you who is holding your hand over the bleeding wound ... or unresponsive chest ... will seem like a huge pain in the ass ...

it is like calling the cops for a problem and then they want to know who you are ... where you are .. why you are calling ... what your interest is ... blah blah blah ... i have twice admonished 911 operators and said ... listen can you tell me if the appropriate helpers have been sent forth ... which is how i believe they should talk ... but of course if they do that then the person will hang up ....

regarding heimlich and children a web site offers this ... and yes it begins with calling 911 :P:P i vote for having some one else call 911 ... while we get on with the job ...

Instructions Things You'll Need:

- Telephones <http://www.ehow.com/shop_telephones.html>

1. Step 1

Call 911 or ask someone else to call 911. 2. Step 2

Squat behind your child as she stands in front of you. 3. Step 3

Place one hand on top of the pelvis line, in the middle of the abdomen. Put your other hand on top of the first. Pull upward, forcefully, toward the child's nose, in a series of five quick thrusts. If that doesn't work: 4. Step 4

Place the child face down across your lap. Put one fist below the point where the ribs meet the breastbone. 5. Step 5

Give a solid whack to the back, between the lower shoulder blades, with your other hand. 6. Step 6

If the child begins to lose consciousness, lower her slowly to the floor. Be sure an emergency squad has been called. 7. Step 7

Straddle your child's thighs or sit at her side. Sit at her feet if she is very young. 8. Step 8

Put the heel of one hand at the belly button and thrust upward toward the nose five times. These motions are called abdominal thrusts. 9. Step 9

Open the child's mouth and look inside to see if you have dislodged the foreign body. If you see a foreign body, sweep it out with a hooked finger. Tilt your child's head to the side, in case of vomiting. 10. Step 10

Attempt to open the airway by tilting her head and lifting her chin. Look and listen for signs of breathing. 11. Step 11

Give your child a breath by pinching her nose with your fingers and putting your lips over her mouth to form a tight seal. Exhale forcefully into her mouth. Watch to see if her chest rises with your breath. If not, your child's airway is still blocked. 12. Step 12

Continue with abdominal thrusts.

-- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners and ... older work at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364