Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jul 2009 20:15:54 -0700
From:         Randy Nunes <randycnunes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Coolant Flush

Hi Everyone!

I decided that because we weren't going camping this weekend, that I would flush my coolant. I printed up some instructions, sat around staring at my Bentley and went to work, but ran into what I think is a problem and just want some advice.

I opened the radiator bleeding screw, the thermostat bleed screw as well as the expansion tank cap. Coolant dribbled out everywhere, but lots of buckets and rags kept it clean.

Next went up to the radiator and pulled both hoses off. I appear to have gotten alot of coolant 10L in the bucket with about 1.5L on the floor. Opps - thats what rags are for.....

I tried to pull the tin off the engine to get the two screws on the heads - but due to rust considerations decided not to try my luck...

I did raise the rear end while the radiator hoses were off to try and get out as much as possible.

I have no idea what the coolant brand is in my van but it was definitely not blue, I bought Presotin to replace it.

Questions

In order to change my coolant do I have to get the coolant out from the heads? How do I actually flush the system do I just put a garden hose up into the hoses to flush out all the old coolant with water? How do I flush the radiator - same way? just use the hose to spray water up in it? The instructions I was reading indicated I needed to "unplug the heater line that connect to that big bypass metral coolant tube on the left, in front of this one. I can't find this any ideas? What about the rear heater core how do I get the coolant out of there?

Since I am putting different coolant in is there any special precautions I need to take?

Thanks

Randy C. Nunes

Fermentation Trap, L.L.C. 6420 Seminole Trail, #12 Barboursville, VA 22923 (434)985-2192www.fermentationtrap.com

All your homebrewing and winemaking needs! ________________________________