Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Jul 2009 00:12:51 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Also AC not working
Comments: To: Andysings@AOL.COM

Regarding AC not working...

Yes, the switch on the dash (or it may be overhead, depending on year...) can go bad. This is the switch that turns it on and controls what temperature it keeps.

It is also possible that the big 30 amp fuse in the back has blown. This can happen if the wiring for the fans in the rear has corroded. It is also possible that that fuse might be good, but corrosion on the connectors back there (driver side D pillar) has gotten bad enough to stop flow of electricity.

So, you'll need to get out the Bentley, and a Volt Ohm meter, figure out which (or several) AC diagrams is what you have, and check the switches and wires.

If the switch is bad, it will need to be replaced (I've taken them apart, and they really just don't have any user servicable aspects to them.)

If the 30 amp fuse has blown you can get a replacement, but you'll have to do additional investigation to find out why it blew. If the connectors in the back are browned or black (instead of white or clear) you have a corrosion issue on your wiring.

BTW, be careful working on that wiring back there. With power running, those big red wires can get awfully hot.