Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:15:04 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Also AC not working
Comments: To: Andysings@AOL.COM

You should be aware that if the charge on the AC system is low ...... there's a pressure switch ( usually ) that will keep the compressor clutch from engaging if the system charge is low. In cars in general........ I'd say the most common reason for the AC not even 'trying' ( i.e. AC compressor clutch won't even engage ) is low charge of R12 or R 134a.

and as the other poster says .......things get fried back there from age and heat in the wires. Be really nice if it's just a fuse or some contacts.

on the shaky steering wheel....... first think, jack up the front and check for out of round tires or flat spots. while they're in the air wiggle hard, up/down and left/right on the wheel and tire....... looking for worn out tie rod ends........and worn upper ball joints, and whatever you can find that's loose. Lower ball joints wear out too, but fortuanately not for a long time. .........and they're harder to check, and difficult to replace.

balance of the front tires also comes to mind of course.............and sometimes even the wheels are not prefecty round anymore .........though that's unlikely if you have alloy wheels. But 'usually'.........significant steering wheel shimmy is a combination of ...... worn front shocks, worn front suspension parts, or something wrong with the wheels/tires. In some cases...........it can be the front brakes also .....but you didn't say 'while braking' , so figuring it's probably not that .

one 'cheap' test is just swap wheels front to rear, and see if that has some affect. be sure to check the tires for tread separation .......that's like an internal henia .........and makes for a badly out of round tire. There will be a bulge in the tread area. you might have perfect shocks...... I'm not speaking to you here , but I have observed that some people think the only consequence of having very worn shocks is soft mushy uncontroleld ride and handling. That's not the only downside........worn shocks contribute significantly to trashing the suspension, and the tires too. You can also get a free front end inspection at most tire and brake shops. they're glad to check it out for you .............cause they might write an estimate for up to a thousand bucks.......if things are pretty tired, but you can get a 'hopefully objective' free inspection that way. They tend to say 'if one side is shot, you need both sides done, of course' . and so on. good luck ! scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Morse" <Andysings@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2009 9:01 PM Subject: Also AC not working