Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:31:30 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westfalia Canvas Replacement
Comments: To: Jon Kanas <kanas@QADAS.COM>

Jon, I just did this job on Friday. If you buy the Canvas from me or other reputable list vendors it will come with detailed instructions on how to install it. Be warned it took me over 6 hours to do this latest one and I have done many over the years. I keep trying to find ways to go faster but my main concern is that it turns out well. One other issue I have had over the years is with the tents made for the early Vanagons 80-83. These are the ones that use the tack strips on the top of fasten them. They require that the top of the tent be squared in the corners and the bottom be rounded in the corners. So far I have never found this to be the case. The tents have been rounded in the top and bottom corners of the rear part and will not fit like the old ones. I have solved this problem by adding small blocks of triangular wood to the upper corners and it solves the problem but I am going to share my concerns with the tent makers because an average person may be stymied by this problem in the midst of having the top of their van off and on saw horses sitting beside the van. Not a fun problem to run into especially if you are under time pressure.

It is not a difficult job, take your time, read the instructions. If you can't work inside start the first thing in the morning and have a fan to try to circulate the air for you. You may want to do the work over the course of two days because by the time you get the top off and put the new canvas in it, the day will be getting toward noon and doing this work outside with the noon day sun hitting your top makes you feel like you are sealing yourself inside your own casket in an Asian prisoner of war camp. Not a fun experience but if you are claustrophobic this is not the job for you. There is no pleasant or happy way to fasten the rear section of the tent to the top of the van that I have found. You can't have the top fully popped up, there is no air flow and I was sweating my guts out inside an air conditioned shop with a huge fan blowing up my way simply because nothing could reach me wedged back in the rear of the partially closed pop top. I really hate this job worse than any other I have ever done on a Vanagon probably because I am somewhat claustrophobic to start with. If you only ever have to do yours, you can survive it and feel the pride of a job well done. I usually do two of three of these over the course of a summer and then am happy when winter comes and they become nothing but a vague memory :-)

Let me know if I can help you further.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Jon Kanas wrote: > Good Afternoon, > > It seems to me that earlier this year there was a posting or reference > to a site where there was a good procedure published for replacing the > poptop canvas. I've been digging around in the archives with no luck. > If anyone remembers this post or link, I'd appreciate a pointer to it. > -- > > *Best Regards, > Jon B Kanas > Email: kanas<at>qadas.com <mailto:kanas@qadas.com> > LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonkanas > Website: http://www.qadas.com/~kanas <http://www.qadas.com/%7Ekanas> > * > > *"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always > one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. > Very Often, that individual is crazy." > --Dave Barry > * >