Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:09:00 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: Re: Burps up coolant when parked warm.
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

don't know why , but I'm not seeing David's text or response here. but here's mine..... using an IR gun .....on a waterboxer engine, fully warmed up and idling ..... expect to see 175 to 185 degrees F at the hose where coolant is coming out of the engine ..... even 190 F there ...is not bad, not bad at all. At the same time, expect to see the temp of the return hose from the radiator be about 160ish ..... roughly that relationsihp ...... around 30 degees cooler on the return hose. and a 'nice warm' 175 to up to 190 on the hotter hose. You want that up there, around 180, not 150 or anything too cool like that.

'running warm' by itself is good. Better fuel milage at higher temps. Fuel is wasted and it's not as good for the oil and engine, if you're running at say 150. The t-stats often run too cool after a while. I find the radiators to usually be quite up to the task, all the 83 and later plastic tank ones....... and they have mainly one failure mode that I've seen ........they eventually just don't remove heat very well, or as well as they once did. Like if you have a 15 year old one ........and the rest of the system is fully up to spec and well-checked out .........you'd consider the radiator then if it just ran hotter under heavy load than seems reasonable. Test the t-stat in a pan of hot water on the stove to be sure about it though, always. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 11:44 AM Subject: Fwd: Re: Burps up coolant when parked warm.