Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:41:27 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Swap a Mazda Diesel in a Vanagon?
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

I don't think the V-drive would solve the rotation direction issue . Seems that you'd need a engine mounted fairly high ............then shaft going forward, then V-drive box to reverse the path and direction ....... and it would have to go to a turned around vanagon tansaxle ..........which is reversing direction twice, which is a net gain of nothing, direction wise. Good thought though !

my 'generic plan' to make 'other way' engines.......but more importantly 'other way ' transaxles work..... is change direction of rotation at the end of the axles...........i.e. reduction gear boxes, ala 'old buses'.

The don't have to reduce gear ratio though, .......they can be 1 to 1. or they can be used to raise the gear ratio. and they can be used to get either taller rear suspension, or longer wheel base, if layed flat, if you follow me. And nice disc brakes with them too...........sounds sweet. scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 11:37 AM Subject: Re: Swap a Mazda Diesel in a Vanagon?

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Don Hanson<dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> How about adapting a marine V-drive to a vanagon so you could use any > engine with other way rotation? That would open up lots of possible motor > swaps...Honda Gold wing? Evinrude? Briggs and Stratton? hee hee. (serious, > for the first one) > Don Hanson >

Heh.

Marine V-drive? Like these?

http://tinyurl.com/kpckwh

http://tinyurl.com/mehkky

I'm thinking that swapping the diff around in the tranny might be less work. Pretty sure it can be done. :)

Reading up a little on wikipedia about the Mazda engines. Was thinking of these, (FE or F2) though except for some of the FE's, they seem to be mostly carb engines:

http://tinyurl.com/njvwg5

These larger I4 engines look interesting

http://tinyurl.com/nr5yt9

but likely too tall with the intake etc:

http://tinyurl.com/ln2qe8

http://tinyurl.com/kk6bhk

Of course considering the joint effort between Mazda and Ford, well.... all this leads me to what the Bostig guys have already done so well! Zetec!

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines