Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 2009 20:25:29 -0400
From:         "Randy C. Nunes" <randycnunes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Bleeding Lessons Learned

Thought someone might learn a few lessons about bleeding a 2.1L 1989 Vanagon from an inexperienced mechanic with mediocre skills.

1. I definitely recommend www.benplace.com for a complete overview of the process.

2. I looked everywhere for a bleeder on my rear heater - all I could locate was the switch which controlled the coolant flow - but no bleeder screw anywhere to be found.

3. The thermostat bleeder screw needs to be turned more than once or twice it needs to be backed out all the way and then turned a few turns in order to allow the coolant flow.

4. If you are flushing your system definitely recommend including a vacuum flush. My initial coolant recovery process by dropping the front hoses yielded about 7L, the vacuum attached to those same two hoses I yielded about 13L. I then flush with water and repeated the process. I believe I got a majority of the old coolant out. (Perhaps this is hope speaking here - but my coolant is now blue not nuclear glow in the dark green.) I call this success (I told you mediocre skills and massive amounts of hope.)

5. I lifted the rear of the Vanagon in the bleeding process which took about a half hour - and then a drive around and several stops to open the front radiator bleeder the van seems to be doing well so far.

6. Buy a hose clamp tool it makes the job so much easier but still not pleasant.

A link to my Vanagon - if anyone is interested is here http://1989volkswagonwesty.blogspot.com/

Randy C. Nunes

Fermentation Trap

Your Homebrew and Winemaking Supply Store

http://www.fermentationtrap.com

(888) 985-2192