Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 2009 18:21:50 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help with van bucking and spitting - FIXED

Thank you all for the good advices. I started by trying to check the main harness wiring on the brain. In removing the brain I noticed that all screws were loose and it could flop in place behind the seat. The harness was on nice and tight.  I reseated it anyway and tightened the brain unit onto the side panel of the seat. THAT DID IT!  Imaging that what a fluke of gremlins.... Again thank you all for the good support.  Joel Cort Rochester NY. 89 Syncro Westy (CinnabarVan) 87 Syncro Transporter (Stella) 73 Westy Campmobile (agent orange) Founding Member of the Empire VW Camping Club & Westies at Watkins - www.westies-at-watkins.org ________________________________ From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, July 6, 2009 5:51:07 PM Subject: Re: Help with van bucking and spitting as another poster mentioned.........check idle switch contact at idle, and how close to 'zero throttle' the contact point is. ...especially if it's at light throttle, and very small throttle openings, as might occur going around a city turn . I had this in my 2.1 engined 85 Adventurewagon ( FS btw ) . It even has a shiny new throttle body and new switch on it ...and at very light throttle, it would do just that, buck.  Accelerate a little.......and it was fine. Try to drive steady at low throttle.......can't do it, too much bucking. I checked 'when' the throttle switch was making and breaking contact. ( it's in the Bentley .....the precise german way to adjust it ) . I found perhaps a quarter inch of throttle cable travel ( checking it by hand at the engine ) before the idle contact switched off. So that means I could be at say ..........some throttle angle above idle , like up to 10 % opening ......yet the switch would still be closed, telling the ECU it's still at idle . I adjusted that so quite slight movement of the throttle will result in the switch clicking open, and each time I release it back to idle .....the switch closes for sure. I find that it tends to not return to full, full zero .........so you have to check that it also makes contact, and clicks, each time you release the throttle.......even from only slightly open, and gently released. Doing that ...........only moved it into the shop since that adjustment, but I bet it's fixed for the bucking I was getting at light throttle. I've seen some worn enough .........I think, anyway........that were too worn to reach proper adjustment. I have one 2.1 throttle body that's just generally funky and worn .....and it doesn't seem to want to return cleaning to idle position quite.  Point is, the throttle body and/or switch can be too worn to work really correctly. Be nice if it was just that simple adjustment for you ! I find them adjusted incorrectly quite regularly on vanagons. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel Cort" <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 3:27 AM Subject: Help with van bucking and spitting Hey gang, I'm trying to help out a buddy with a 86 2.1Ltr. Westy. The van idles great hot or cold and starts right up. While driving along all the sudden it will hicup and miss loosing all RPM under load. And pick right back up. When slowing down to take a turn and picking up speed it will buck and miss with some backfiring. I have checked the wiring and it all looks good. I have also checked and replaced the easy things like: New TempII sender and I swapped a good AFN (out of my van) AFM A good Idle Stabiliser relay but the symptons are still there. Any hints where and how to track this gremlin down? I will swap the brain next and the O2 is new. Thanks, Joel Cort Rochester NY. 89 Syncro Westy (CinnabarVan) 87 Syncro Transporter (Stella) 73 Westy Campmobile (agent orange) Founding Member of the Empire VW Camping Club & Westies at Watkins - www.westies-at-watkins.org