Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jul 2009 19:51:21 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mulititude of questions (dash out now...)
Comments: To: andysings@aol.com

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Andy Morse<andysings@aol.com> wrote: >  I took the dash out of my 86 syncro today (thank you for all the help!) It was easy going until I needed to get the heater unit out, two of the screws did not want to budge, I resorted to wd-40 and an impact screw driver. Finally! Heater unit was clamped and glued together, oh what fun. Now that they're apart I have a new heater unit, brake master cylinder and heater control valve on order from europarts direct. > > I'm finding the Bentley manual pretty useless. The Bentley for my 99 Turbo New Beetle and the one for my? old 71 Westy are much better and more detailed at taking things apart. Glad I have you and the internet! > > *Anyway now that I'm in there I noticed that the cable that operates the right side defroster vent was broke off where it attaches to the slider. I haven't seen a cable for sale on line. I'm wondering if I can push the wire through to that side enough to expose some beyond the sheethe and make the bend my self to re-attach it? Not sure if there's enough wire to do this. Any other options?? I believe it broke beacause there was a mouse nest taking up the entire opening on the right side vent...Mice are good for dinner, yum! > > * Seems I should install new foam around the parts that had it. I'm thinking home depot for this, hopefully they have different sizes. > > *A number of my switch lights were not working, bulbs burned out. Do just the mini lights themselves get replaced or, the whole mini light unit that the wires hook into? Where can I get these and what specifically are they called, bulb number? > > *The temperature gauge stopped working awhile ago, is this a dash fix or somewhere else? > > *The gas gauge only registers up to about 1/3 full and then the needle won't go any higher even when the tank if full.. > > * Is there a way to lube the speedo cable? When it's freezing outside it makes a nasty screetching vibrating sound, when it's warmer there's no problem. > > *How do I grease the wiper arms and any other areas on the unit? > > *12v cig.circuit not working. Do these go bad? Are they for sale? It would be nice to have the port operational. > > *Seems like a good time to replace the radio antennea, anyone know of any replacements? maybe one of the chains, bap-geon, adcance auto, pep boys has something that will work? > > Anything else?

Seems Scott covered it, but here are some other suggestions

I found that on the air cooled, the long cables from front to rear are the same as the ones from levers to heat exchange box. If desperate at the bone yard, and no WBX parts around, an air cooled may provide a new piece if needed.

Though "over kill", if you want....

I know that when new, the wiper shaft assembly(s) can be disassembled. Bentley says to lube new assemblies prior to install. I used moly grease on my new ones. Maybe possible to take yours apart and renew lube?

Cig socket may be fine. Might just be a bum element. A VOM will tell all. ;)

I used close cell residential foam from Home Depot or some other similar outlet, on the heat box flaps.

I've grown accustomed to the scent of chain lube. It tends to stick longer. It might be useful for some of the lubing. (can't recall) Regardless, handy to have.

In future, I would suggest that using a penetrating fluid (not WD40) would help for stuck fasteners. Along those lines, consider applying antiseize to the heat box bolts that hold it to the sheet metal.

Dash light bulbs fit into the little holders. Check condition of foil, and plastic on housing, where light sockets insert/twist into place. Check overall condition of foil and resistors where they connect. (if resistors present. I'm not familiar with later model year foils)

When I assembled the heat box on my '81, I sealed the join on the *outside*. Not between the pieces. (for the next guy)

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines