Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:15:19 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Problem Solved: Was Metallic sound when depressing the
              clutch---Now happens in neutral when depressing accelerator
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Thanks everyone! What a great piece of mind to have people on the list who can provide me with suggestions. Monday morning, I tightened the water pump belt and the power steering belt to see if that made any difference and it didn't. The metallic squeal was still there sporadically when I shifted gears, at idle when revving the engine and sometimes at around 30-40 miles per hour.

Using the shop list on Larry Chase's site, it sounded like a competent, honest, and fair mechanic was located near Burlington, VT. Craig's VW Repair is located on 96 Elm Court, Colchester, VT. While his shop is located off of Prim Rd, the address on Larry's site is wrong. Craig is everything he is cracked up to be. I pulled in around 4:00 pm, explained the problem and asked if I could set up a time for him to look at the van the next day. He said something like, "lets take a ride and let me hear what you hear so I know what I am facing". So, he dropped what he was doing, cleaned his hands and jumped in the van. I drove awhile and he drove awhile and he pronounced the problem to be either a disintegrating catalytic converter or something loose on the exhaust system. Back at his shop, he jacked up the left side of the van, got out a rubber mallet and started hitting things. After about 6 hits, he found the problem. The left hand side exhaust system hanger had been bypassed by a previous mechanic with a welded rod and the old hanger was sometimes rubbing on the rod. Craig fixed the offending hanger and we were out of there in about 45 minutes. He charged me so little that I paid him twice what he asked, and for me it was a bargain at that.

Scott had it right with his diagnosis. That is the second time he has come up with a solution to one of my problems.

Later, that evening when checking into Grand Isle State Park near Burlington, I noticed that one of the park rangers had a Vanagon. We started talking and I told him of my experience with Craig. The ranger seconded my opinion and told me how highly regarded Craig is in the local VW community.

On Tuesday, our trip continues with piece of mind and the hope that a bad exhaust hanger is the worst problem we face on our drive to Newfoundland and back.

Thanks everyone and I will try and post pictures on our return.

Harold ___ Harold Teer 1991 Westy (Vangaux) Harrisonburg, VA