Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:43:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: On Board Propane used outside
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@VERIZON.NET>

sounds like you want to run a stove that normally takes a green screw-on bottle of propane. ( not addressing the idea of changing from white liquid fuel to gaseous propane for now )

what you need to know is the part that the bottle screws into on portable propane camping stoves .........the pressure regulator is usually right there ........the part that screws on to the bottle. So you can't run propane tank pressure right to a propane stove, without considering pressure. And the propane coming from your propane tank is all 'after' the pressure regulator on the big tank. As long as you account for having the correct pressure going to the portable stove .........you're ok, and you could run a hose from your propane tank under your van to your portable stove on the picnic table. Sounds like a real bother to me though. If it's a matter of connecting a hose after being parked.........quick disconnects would be the way. Converting a stove from working on liquid white gas, to working on propane ..... doesn't sound so kosher to me. if that was the last can of white gas ......... you can use unleaded car fuel, I do believe. It won't be as perfectly made for white gas stoves like real white gas is, but I think it'll work. I never bother with liquid fuel stoves any more though ......priming , waiting for it to get up to full 'go'.. Gas stoves get to full operation immediately of course.

I have a nifty 'one pounder' propane tank. You might want to consider using one of these to power your picnic table portable propane stove. Nice n' handly little size. About a foot tall, about 10 inches in diamter. The only issue I have ever run into with one of those is some propane places I've been to had a 3 gallon minimum or something like that, others didn't care and would fill up the small thing. That's what I suggest .............a small very portable one pound propane tank ( refills just like the bigger ones ) ......... a proper connecting hose and make sure things are right regulator and pressure wise. RV stores, camping stores, surplus stores ........ anywhere that sells camping stuff and propane parts. Cabellas even have some of this stuff.

actually..........come to think of it ..........I have done this already. The stove I use is the kind that screws directly onto those green bottles........ where it screws to is where the pressure regulator is, with knob on the side. So I made a little 'stove' ..........a welded up steel holder for the burner part .........and made it intentionally heavy so it won't tip over easily. they sell hoses already that have that 'green bottle' thread on one end ..........so designed to do what you are thinking of .......makes it 'bulk fill' and portable. Just pay attention to the pressure regulator part, that has to be about right for sure. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonce Fancher" <streetbugs@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:52 PM Subject: On Board Propane used outside