Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jul 2009 23:53:51 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clarify On Board Propane used outside
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@VERIZON.NET>

The westy tank has a regulator designed for the stove. I know that the propex furnace will work with the same regulator pressure. I'm not sure your external devices will. Maybe they will, maybe you'll need a different and perhaps a separate regulator.

As to the rest of the situation, it's just a matter of (propane) plumbing. Yes it can be done. On the presumption that you'll want the external hook up on the passenger side of the vehicle, You'll need to figure out where you want the hook up to be, you'll need to affix it somehow, you'll need to run copper lines from your hook up area to the tank and modify the existing connections for your internal stuff (probably adding a t-junction after the existing regulator), and you'll need a shut off valve at the external hookup site. Then (finally) you'll probably want a rubber hose to go from the external hookup site to your external equipment (stove/light, whatever). If you only need a single device at a time, all of the above should be fairly simple.

However, if you want more than one external device going, if those external devices need some other pressure than what the westy's tank supplies, things can get a lot more complicated.

But, that 20 pound tank holds about 5 gallons of propane. A westy holds 3. Not sure how fast you go through that 5 gallon tank, but a westy tank will only give you about 50 % of that (and remember a properly filled tank really only holds about 2.7 gallons as the 10% is for expansion. )