Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:50:45 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Friday - Disaster averted

Well, I was heading back to work from taking my lunch break - waiting at a stop light when I suddenly noticed White smoke Billowing out of the side vents of the bus. HOLY S*@t!

I got off the road as quickly as I could, pulling into a party store. Turned her off and took a look - coolant pouring out of the rear of the van. My heart sank and I feared the absolute worst.

I got the engine lid off and was looking from above and underneath - I couldn't find where it was coming from - but everything was soaked. Again I feared the worst.

I went in the store and purchased a couple gallons of water (I have coolant at home used water just to get by) - I started filling the coolant tank hoping the leak would make itsef' apparent - sure enough, water started pouring after about half of the second gallon was in. So I found it. Turns out there is a rather large coolant line above and just forward of the engine - this line had a plastic coupler (close to the center) that had broken. I was relieved to find it actually.

So happens there was a local mechanic right next door - he was kind enough to loan me a screw driver and some needle nose pliers so I could get the coupler out. When I showed him what had happened - he just happened to have a coupler the same size in his tool box. I put in the new part clamped it up - started the bus and checked for leaking. All is well.

The guy charged me $2 for the part - I gave him a total of $10 for his kindness. Nice old guy - seemed to know a bit about VW buses too.

So there you have it - scary at first but no catastrophic failure. I noticed the coolant light and the smoke (steam) quickly enough nothing over heated. All that and I was only 10 min late back from lunch. I guess if something is going to break that's the kind of problem you want. The Vanagon Gods were good to me today.

have a great weekend everyone :)

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus