Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:12:50 -0700
From:         Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Yeah! It's a water pump weekend! (questions of course)

Hello folks,

The subject line sounds too much like Chevy Chase's summer vacation, but I've been procrastinating too long. It is going well, thanks to: http://www.benplace.com/water_pump.htm, and http://volksweb.relitech.com/19wpump.htm, some archive stuff and a couple of thesamba threads.

Got it all undone, except the 2 bottom nuts on the water pump itself. Got the top nut off with my usual 13mm socket, but it won't fit on the lower left nut because there isn't enough clearance next to the WP housing. And I can't get it on the bottom right nut, using various extensions, because the damper pulley is in the way. So I am heading to sears, and then harbor freight if needed, to buy: - a thin walled 13 mm socket - a 3/8" drive universal / swivel (to get the lower right nut). Does this sound to anyone like it might do the job to get those last 2 off?

Lessons learned along the way: - Removing the pulley from the water pump. Didn't have really big adjustable plier/grip, and tried with the belt on, and some other stuff - nada. I ended up using some really narrow vice grip pliers and wedged them in between the pulley mount and the water pump body and that stopped it from turning so I could get the pulley bolts out. - didn't see it in the various instructions, but the little hose that comes out the top of the water pump and goes to the oil cooler. I had to remove it from the oil cooler else impossible to access the lower left water pump mounting bolt. - the wire to the oil pressure sensor (I think that's what it is) was laying directly on the bottom right WP mounting bolt, preventing any socket from getting on the nut, had to remove that wire. - the hose / pipe going to the right head, I got it loosened, I just can't turn it out of the way. Ben's place says to swivel it out of the way, can't accomplish that yet, since it is so cramped under the damper pully I just can't figure a way to twist (turn) it yet since it is stuck to the little coupler hose on the other end.

So far, so good, pleased so far, just gotta get those 2 nuts off of the water pump itself and it should come free.

Please any and all comments / suggestions welcome!

Roland