Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:22:22 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Big brake conversion
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

They are as thick (maybe thicker) as Vanagon front pads. The cylinders do not look smaller than Vanagon front calipers either. I did not get an impression that the pads are thinker and smaller. Of course I have not touched the front brakes yet. So I have no idea how they compare betwqeen the front and the rear. Passat has many different brake systems according to Bentley. They use different calipers and pads. The one in my Passat may be not the one you are talking about. I tend to think that because of ABS the brake system is very different from conventional non ABS systems. Traditional brake systems may want the front to have more stopping power due to weight distrbution. With ABS they don't want any of the four tires to skid. It would not help to achieve this simple goal by putting more stopping power to the front. David --- On Sun, 7/12/09, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> > Subject: RE: Big brake conversion > To: "'David Kao'" <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>, vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Sunday, July 12, 2009, 1:31 PM > The Passat rear calipers have very > small cylinders and thin pads. That is > why they have little effect on brake fluid level as they > wear. They have to > be turned and pushed in to reset the mechanical parking > brake cam under the > pistons. > > Dennis  > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] > On Behalf Of > David Kao > Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 6:56 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Big brake conversion > > Yes, better ride is what I have seen. Each time I step on > the brake > the whole car sinks all together rather than the font sinks > and the > rear rises. All 4 tries wear incredibly even is another. I > have the 3rd > set of tires on the Passat now. The two previous set each > was only > rotated once. The front tires wear very evenly from edge to > center > just like rear tires. This of course has nothing to do with > the brake > system. I rotated the tires just for the reason of tire > rotation. > If I did not rotate the tires would have worn just about > equally. > > The Passat rear brake calipers are very different from > those in the front. > The ones in the front are the common type. The ones in the > rear have > self-adjust pistons. The brake fluid level remains almost > constant > when the rear bake pads wear out. When new pads are put on > the pistons > need to be reset. The pistons need to be turned while > pressing down. > It is very hard to do. It is obvious that Passat brake is > designed > to brake harder and wear more then the front. > > David > > > --- On Wed, 7/8/09, Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> > wrote: > > > I really can't see the reasoning behind giving > > the rears more braking > > power > >