Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Jul 2009 20:59:12 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: What is up with California and aftermarket Catalytic
              Converters for the Vanagon?
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Hey Ken,

Walker Tenneco 80600/80700 Magnaflow: 33000/34000 AirTek: 91000

These are the only approved converters possible for sale/install in pre-OBDII T-2 class vehicles (light duty truck, 3,751 - 5,750 GVWR) in California as of July 10th 2009, certified used converters could still be installed after Jan 1st this year, but that expires tomorrow. Hope they fit.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/aftermktcat.htm

Jim Akiba

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Ken Wilford<kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: > Can anyone explain to me what is up with California and the Vanagon > Catalytic Converter?  I have been on the CARB site and doing some > looking but really the whole thing doesn't make much sense to me.  I > want to be able to supply direct fit catalytic converters to folks but > there are only certain suppliers that are CARB approved.  The website > says stuff about earlier cars meeting OBD II standards for Cats and that > is just idiotic because these vehicles were designed way before OBD II > was even thought of.  How can they ever be brought up to that standard > and how is a Cat with a magical number stamped on it going to accomplish > this?  Any one who has recently replaced theirs would be a big help with > this one. > > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com >