Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jul 2009 06:35:24 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Installing heater fan motor on 86 syncro
Comments: cc: Andysings@aol.com

In a message dated 07/07/2009 9:39:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Andy, did you look at the photos I sent on my Picasa page ? _http://picasaweb.google.ca/FCondelli/FrontHeater#_ (http://picasaweb.google.ca/FCondelli/FrontHeater) They are not as complete as I would like but I'm still working on that page.

The foam seals on the flaps originally covered the entire flap. All that is really needed is around the perimeter where the flap touches the edge of the box to make a seal. Remove all the flaps from the housing. One set of flaps will require removing the glued on cover plate which can be reinstalled with small screws, the screw holes are already there. All the others can be removed by discovering the way, it's a sort of puzzle but if you study each location you will see how they are to be removed. Eventually I will get photos of that operation. Remove all the plastic centre pieces on all the flaps and discard. Remove all the old glue that is left from the original foam. Get "Weather Shield" peel and stick foam insulation for use around windows at the Home Depot or similar place, 1/4" T x 3/8" W and or 3/16" T x 3/8" W. Get both sizes and see which works best. I think I used the thinner thickness on the flaps and the thicker one around the motor and heat exchanger. Install it around the perimeter of each flap where the flap will touch the edge of the box on the side where the old foam was. Re-install the flaps. Use the same peel and stick insulation around the motor and heat exchanger in the same place where it was after removing the old one of course. The two halves of the heater box is held together with 11 clips. If you look carefully you will see there is a specific location for these 11 clips. No glue or screws are needed unless the casing has been damaged. These clips are available from VW or I have them in stock. The end of the motor with the exposed bushing needs to be protected. Use a suitable sized bottle cap glued in place with silicon sealant. Put some light machine oil on that bushing before installing the cap. You need to test the motor on all three speeds after it has been positioned in the casing half where it belongs and before reassembling the box to be sure the ballast resistor is good. That's what makes the fan have three speeds. If the ballast resistor which is inside the box is bad now is the time to change it. It must be ordered form VW or some other supplier who has it. I get them from VW as I need them, no stock here. To do this test you need a 12v power supply, the fan switch and some wire. Ground from the 12v power to ground on the motor. 12v to the input of the switch. Wires from the ballast resistor to the switch. Wire from the ballast resistor to the motor. Switch all three positions. Low and Medium speeds pass through the ballast resistor, High speed is direct. If you need more help you can phone me at 613-256-6763 between 8am and 6pm.

It seems the foam from where the old heater fan sat is worn out. I'll cut and stick some new foam around the many curves and then set the new heater in (Mele). Is it ok to hook up the wires to the fan and switch, hook the battery up and try it out on all three speeds even though so much more is unplugged from the dash and speedo?

I've seen people mentioning to put foam on the vent flaps. Seems it was there before but mine must have disappeared over the years. What should be the thickness of the foam be and does it go on the hole flap?

Assembling the two piece heater plastic. Should I reglue it and put the 4 clips back on, or just the 4 clips or/and use machine screws around the perimeter?

Last but not least, did someone mention glueing some kind of cap to the back of the motor to keep dust from getting in?<<<<<<<<<

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://frankcondelli.com/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://frankcondelli.com/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://www.busfusion.com/) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 11 ~ 14, 2009