Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:58:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problem, New Rebuilt Engine, Running Rich, What's Wrong?
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

Hi Robert,

on the oil tower, I have abuot 10 good used ones. I have not observed a problem with those ever......but the must gunk up eventually I suppose. If it was my project, and I had an oil tower where the top came off, I'd just put on a good used one. I do, if there's a reason to, make sure that crankcase fumes are coming out of it, and going into the hose that routes fumes to the air intake boot, via that hose with the little heater thingey one it.

on running rich..... right away ? or after warmed up ? oxygen sensor doesn't even figure into running until closed loop is acheived in a few minutes. I do read about shorted oxygen sensors..... but I've never found that myself. It's not hard to check the wire ..... it's a heavy green coax I beleive ...not hard to check that that wire is intact all the way to the ecu. I have seen a van or two where someone had to bypass that wire with an entire other one to get 02 signal to the ecu.

also.......always 'most popular' ......is the Temp II sensor. I don't find them bad hardly ever, but many vanaogn owners are replacing those at the first excuse, seems to me, and claiming results.

also........I'll assume your tech guy is on top of things. And, the second I saw your subject line.... my mind went immediately to ground wires. I have seen many many incorrect waterboxer engine installations. To the point it's almost funny.

brief story about one exampel - just picked up a very nice L model 84 in red and white, with .....rare to me .........front two person bench seat, plus driver's seat in black vynyl.......so seats 3 in front, and there is no walk-through. US model too, and no rust and not too dinged up ( FS btw ) ..... so the guy who did the work, who says he is a mobil mechanic and 'knows how to work on cars'.... he's telling me that any time the key is on, the injectors squirt continuously. And they do too. I havn't gotten to it yet, but right away I see that all the ground wires that go to the left head, are bolted together, but not bolted to the head there. And I see the ground wire for the igntion isn't even connected to anything.

and I won't mention things like brand new 4,000 dollars engiens in vanagons I've seen, where the oil pressure switch was screwed in just finger tight ...... so..... well, was going to say hope it's not a workmanship issue........but ! .........it would be very nice if it was just something, or several things, not truly connected correctly. That's where I'd start ........a very careful inspection. The things I've seen done incorrectly or sloppily on cars and vanagons ......would fill several volumes, sad to say.

hope you guys get 'er figured out ! stay cool ! scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Stewart" <robertmstewart@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:24 AM Subject: Problem, New Rebuilt Engine, Running Rich, What's Wrong?