Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:28:21 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC System Repair/ Upgrade

I've read a number of posts here and elsewhere where people have done this and it worked for the short term, but I've also read as many posts where it completely screwed up their system, due to the incompatibility of the chemicals. If there's enough of the old R12 stuff in there you'll get a nasty goo that will play hell with your A/C system. The OP said it most recently had R12. BTW, if it's leaking R12 it'll leak R134 or Freeze-12 even faster. Better to do it right to begin with. If you have, or have access to an air compressor, you can get the rest of the tools to do it yourself for under $100. The whole thing might run $200 with flush, oil and refrigerant.

Cya, Robert

I've done this to about six family vehicles now and they've all been cooling great, up to when I started two years ago.

Go get some R134, the conversion kit and the new-style hose and connector with a gauge on it.

Remove the schraeder valve from your high-pressure port and screw on the new one (these are in the conversion kit)

Start the car with the air on.

Load (a vanagon, anyway) with two cans R134 (yes the plain old stuff you see at your FLAPS) while each bottle is immersed in a pan of very hot water. Be sure to get the stuff with stop leak in it, unless you know your system to be perfect, you'll need it. Be sure to watch the gauge, stop when it sits in the middle of the green or if you are happy with the cool after two cans.

If it isn't cool, you have a problem that adding refrigerant won't solve.

Don't be discouraged if you lose cool in a couple of days. Try another can. Sometimes it takes the stop leak more than a day or two to work.

If it cools at first and loses it, try a can with the UV dye built in. Get a cheap UV bulb and find the leak.

Yes, there are better, and much more expensive ways to do it, but this will get you going in the middle of a summer like this for a max of about $50.

Jim

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Mike Miller<mwmiller@cwnet.com> wrote: > I used some stuff called Maxi-Frig. Direct drop in. Not supposed to put a > vacuum on the system, just load it in. > > Works great! Well I mean for a van. Cold air at least, very cold. > > Held for about a year now. > > YMMV > > Mike From Marin > > > On 7/20/09 1:00 PM, "Michael Hart" <mjhart853@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > >> After a weekend of driving through some of the hot parts of CA & NV (100 - >> 103F in places), AC system repair / upgrade has moved to the top of my 'to-do' >> list (that together with transmission overhaul, but that's a separate >> post...). The system was last working fine (well for a Westy that is) for two >> summers after a system charge in Spring 2007, but the freon has obviously >> leaked away since then. I'm considering conversion to Freeze-12 rather than >> another R12 recharge (since the R12 will undoubtably leak away again, adding >> to the ozone hole..). Advice from anyone who has done this conversion would be >> appreciated. I am ready to attempt this myself, but would consider a shop job >> if anyone knows of capable AC shops in the San Francisco Bay Area. >> >> Thanks, >> Mike ('87 Westy) >