Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:37:53 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need some assistance to see if my mechanic is overcharging
              me...
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>

Hi I Agree $60.00 per hour is fairly cheap. Most Mechanics are 75 to 90 Per hour in my area pending how good they are and location/ overhead. Small shops sometimes have lower hourly rates but take longer, as with expensive hourly go much faster. But the thing is you need to feel comfy about the person doing the work or the crew that is doing it. There are a few shops local that will fix ONLY what the vehicle is brought in for. Some will check and give a full list of issues but also show you the issues so you know about them. If you wish to fix now or later it is up to you. My Upholstery shop charges $60.00 per hour. If we do not charge that much I can not afford Insurances, Overhead and everything associated with running a shop. We always say: "Pick 2" Fast Cheap Good Want it fast and cheap, Don't expect Good! Want it good and Fast, Don't expect Cheap! and So on. The bottom line is Did he/she do a good job, Gave good customer service, and Do what you wanted? You can always use someone new later. Make sure they know what there talking about. Get some info from the list and ask educated questions. Make sure you understand the educated answer when it happens. Or that you know they are making it up as they go. The other issue is Things Most always take longer then you might think and if it can go wrong it usually will. Hope this helps. C-ya Jonce >dear vanagon taste /beer budget > >in 1994 i got my 1969 aircooled rebuilt ... >mechanic bought all the parts and rebuilt all engine components... >he even raised the oil cooler up into the air cooler off #1 cylinder so the >hot oil would not wreck #1 prematurely >all i did is the r & r of the engine ... >he was a very busy vw specalist just outside vernon BC ... >i was happy as a pig in s*** he did this for 1100 $ ... cdn $ > >now if we take in 15 years of rising prices ... in 1994 my house cost 140 K >cnd$ >now houses on that street (wardlaw ) in kelowna bc) are selling for 450 - >500 K cnd$ >so if we use the same simple math and just 4 x the 1100$ repair from 1994 >the same repairs and rebuild would be 4400 $ > >but it is not that simple is it ... > >take into account the falling value of the american $ >and factor in that a bottle of wine still sells for less than 20$ >but lunch and breakfast both now cost 10$ ... (6$ in 1994) > >Subtract the fact that your mechanic is sullied by Nissan knowledge... >divide by 21 ... (the number of years your van has been on the road) >subtract several million because you have an automatic transmission > >reverse the current economic times ... >i think you are getting a good deal and that good deal is more than halfed >in cost by the fact that your mechanic is still in business >moreover only charging you costs of repair rather than costs of hanging >around with your own box of parts .. >which is the one place where a smart shop can delve into your pocket > >by the way will you please notify the list as to the name of this excellent >mechanic >and where we might find his shop > >thanks >yours > > >On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Robert Stewart ><robertmstewart@mac.com>wrote: > > > Need some assistance to see if my mechanic is overcharging me... > > > > So to fill you in on the background. > > > > I had brought my Van back in December to a local Engine Shop that only > > does rebuilds. It took him several months to complete the rebuild with > > all the parts I ordered from Van-Cafe (over 2K in parts). He was > > overbooked and took him a long time to get to the engine. He finished > > it back in April and my mechanic who removed the engine and delivered > > it to him had it and it was now up to him to take care of the rest. > > > > Now he had it since April, he is not a VW mechanic, his speciality is > > Nissan's.... so he needed to do some learning on the job with the > > Bentley and Haynes manuals in hand plus some help from the Samba and > > you guys to get the job done. > > > > I clearly provided a list of what I wanted done and all the parts. > > > > Can anyone here tell me based on my list below what the general cost > > range should be? > > Now I know this is a bit to ask but I am trying to be sure I am not > > being taken here, so any idea of the realistic time frame to complete > > these jobs would be really be appreciated. > > > > Here's the list of what I asked him to do: > > Model - 88 Automatic > > > > Removal and Reinstallation of Rebuilt Engine (with all original > > external engine components i.e. fuel rails, injectors, new rubber for > > injectors provided, new spark plugs, new fuel hoses, wires, wiring > > harness, Air Flow System, with all new gaskets provided, et al.) > > > > Installation of New Fuel lines, (Engine Bay, & Front to Rear Tank Lines) > > > > Installation of 2 External Coolers (Oil and Transmission Fluids) (1) > > from BusBoys and (1) from Small Car for the tranny. > > > > Draining of Coolant Lines ( he did not flush it as he did not have the > > equipment) and Tanks & Refill Of All Coolant (Supplied) > > > > Installation of New Coolant Hoses in the engine bay and the front 2 > > lines connecting to the 2 long hoses (which were good and used them) > > with the Gowesty Coolant Hose Repair Kit. ( the two metal pieces they > > sell) > > > > Draining of Transmission and Differential Gear Oils and replacement of > > fluids with new screen and filter provided. > > > > Install New Engine Oil and Screen install after rebuild completed. > > > > Installation of 3rd Party Transmission Wing Cooling System (welded) > > (this is the little metal wing sold by Terry Kay. > > > > Re-installation of existing S&S Exhaust System (though cleaned and > > painted with high temp paint by me) > > > > Reinstallation of cleaned K&N air filter. > > > > Install New the brake pads and check the brakes throughout the Van. > > (he told me I needed to have my rotors machined which I needed to > > bring to a brake shop to have done. As the 1/4 inch edge of the rotor > > was not worn down at all. It has new Brembo rotors that installed 3yrs > > ago on the van with PBR pads.) > > > > > > Note that the engine after the rebuild was brought to him bare, no > > external components just the engine core with the heads on it, intake > > runners, with the all the proper temp sensors in place. He had to put > > all the components back on. > > > > So what are your thoughts? > > > > He is telling me this is going to cost me $1100 roughly. Now... I > > already paid him $400 when I dropped the van off with him toward the > > total of all these costs. Mind you it's all been in cash as well. His > > rate is $60 an hour. > > > > Thanks for your thoughts, > > Robert > > Bloomingburg NY > > > > > >-- >roger w > From Proverbs: >Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a >servant who becomes king ... >---------------------------------------------------------- >Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ >View the growing list of video work at: >http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners >and ... older work at >http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 >http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364