Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:04:06 -0400
From:         TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Wheel studs & Audi Wheels

All,

I should be fixing my no start and erratic idle problems (among others!) but I can't contain my enthusiasm any longer. I'm upgrading from the stock steel and stock alloy rims to some larger Audi rims for both my Syncro and my Wolfsburg. Both are 1987 models. I test fit just to gaze at the beauty of the whole thing, but I know the wheel stud is an issue.

1. I'm done with the bolts. Period--Dot. I'm switching to wheel studs on every vanagon and I'm buying extras (lugs & studs) just in case. 2. Yes, the stock Audi bolts fit the Audi rims as the VW bolts studs are too short. 3. I have NO idea what lug nuts I'm going with yet with regards to size, style, but they will course have the proper seat and will be of a closed variety. 4. I'm sticking with the stock stud size for convenience, emergencies, and some consistency. 5. I've never played around with the wheel studs before and did a pretty thorough search of the archives. I found the Porsche stud seems to be the stud of choice. 6 Anyone want to throw out who has the best complete or almost complete grouping of parts so I don't have to go to 20 different vendors? You can P-mail me so we don't "offend" anyone...God, I'd hate to do that....(DOH, I just did it!) 7. Ben T, I know you've probably gone down this road before so I'm counting on your, eh, valued, yeah, valued input. Many years ago we talked about doing Porsche wheels but I changed my mind for various reasons. 8. Any suggestions for nice lug nuts would be appreciated. I havent' had a chance to see if the stock Porsche alloy lug nuts have the same seat as the Audi's (most likely) and if they'll fit properly on the rim. Sure would make things easy. 9. I'm assuming that if the Porsche studs work, than I can test the nuts. If they work out or I have to use others, I can measure from that point to judge my optimum stud length. 10. Yes, the rims are BIG. No, they do not rub the fender well or the trailing arm. Just clears the latter by less than an inch. 11. Any issues is I change out or remove that small bolt on the drums? Most people have to beat the hell out of their drums to get the off and the wheels are holding drums on at that point anyhow. Am I missing something? Wouldnt' be the first time! 10. It's Friday, I know, but let's let the "stud" comment go quietly (had to get the disclaimer in to you wise @$$e$ as much as I respect all of you). 11. I'm going to try and do some pictures with this adventure to share. Maybe save someone some hassle and will certainly provide a good laugh at my expense.

Once this is done and over with, I can start droolin' over big brakes and four wheel disc. Right after I fix that no start and wandering idle. D@mnit!

Thanks, TJ