Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:53:38 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Road trip

I'm down in San Diego for Comic-con, my first time.

Had a good trip down, the Vanagon (84 Westy with a 93 Subie 2,2) ran well but the master cyl is going. I stopped at Go-Westy on my way down and bought one. I have a GPS Tom Tom 130 (as I recall), and I have not been really happy with it (it could not find the route from I-5 over the hills to Santa Rosa by way of Hwy 20 at Williams) but when I wanted to find out where Go-Westy was it had the shop in it's data base! It's still a good speed gauge <g>.

Lot's and lot's of Westies in San Fran, reminded me of Olympia.

Camped at Crater Lake, really something to see, camped at Oregon's Joseph Stewart state park (all the OR state parks are great so far). There are lot's of small national forest camps along the road from CL to Medford if you are ever looking for somewhere to explore.

In CA we stopped at Gaviota State Park on hwy 101, where the girl in the booth didn't know about the camp sites "I just sell them". We were there for the beach and it was nice, plus it was the last unoccupied spot in the area if the girl selling them knew what she was talking about. There was a sign on the window that was not mentioned on the web site "All Gaviota's camp site are now reserved, there are NO 'first come-first served sites'". The reservations are done on line thru a company. Early in the AM at Gaviota the wind picked up (it was coming down the canyon and heading out to sea), we had been warned but there was not wind all day.

I have to get going if I want to get in for the Farscape 10th Anniversary board....

Rob becida@comcast.net In western WA with an '84 Westy and a summer before me.