Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:18:35 -0400
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: BearsBearsEverywhere was: Re: Tent camping in the Mammoth
              Lakes area
Comments: To: RICHARD KOERNER <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net>

The sad part is that Mr. Bear is probably doomed to become Mr. Dead Bear. Kinda sucks that as soon as they become used to us in their world, they're the ones who get punished.

Hopefully, they'll just relocate him to somewhere farther away.

Cheers,

Jeff

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM, RICHARD KOERNER<rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Mr. BZ, > > No, didn't scratch the paint, this was one meticulous bear.  Only damage may have been a little brown spot....in my shorts! > > Rest of the story....next morning, Mr. Bear came around again, broad daylight, 'round breakfast time.  Came right into my campsite.  I was in the van, getting stuff.  Turned and saw the bear; started hollerin!  That didn't work...he just stared at us.  But I can whistle with my two fingers...REALLY loud.  And annoying.  That shrill sound got him to move on. > > But then about 5 minutes later, we hear more yelling and hollering a few campsites over.  Then somebody blowing a tin whistle.  Yep, Mr. Bear.  The rangers showed up; nothing they could do, they just let him eat his fill out of my neighbor's ice-chest.  What a mess. > > Rich > 85 Vanagon GL > San Diego > > --- On Thu, 7/23/09, Tom Buese <tombuese@comcast.net> wrote: > > From: Tom Buese <tombuese@comcast.net> > Subject: BearsBearsEverywhere was:   Re: Tent camping in the Mammoth Lakes area > To: "RICHARD KOERNER" <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 11:21 AM > > Yes & this year appears to be a heavy bear year in the Utah area-5 bears already killed in camp/homesites this year so far by "untrained professionals" w/ guns. > Leaving tomorrow vanagon camping & taking our bear warning/scaring device, Carl, the Great Pyrenees. > > http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/578861.jpg > > > On Jul 23, 2009, at 11:44 AM, RICHARD KOERNER wrote: > One IMPORTANT note in the Mammoth areas....lots of bears, BIG ones.  Since there is so much civilization nearby with all the condos and restaurants for the ski area, the bears have learned it's easy pickin's in the campgrounds and trash bins.  USE THE BEAR LOCKERS! > > Last time I was there, on Labor Day, I had put all the food and good smelling stuff in the bear locker, but had forgotten about the trash bag hanging from the passenger side mirror (which all Vanagon campers do, right?).  In the middle of the night, Mr. Bear comes around and we are awoken by his claws attacking the bag. > Did it scratch the paint? >   Wakes you up to shine your flashlight in the eyes of a several hundred pound bear inches away from you!  I won't make that mistake again. > > LOL! > > > YMMV, > Mr. BZ >