Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:12:38 -0400
From:         Pete Geisen <geisenpa@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      82 Diesel coolant temp sender location

I'm a new owner of an '82 diesel westy, and I've really enjoyed reading the wealth of info everyone has put on the listserv. Really important to us newbies getting to know our new babies.

That being said, I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to in the archives. The coolant temp gauge in the dash has been out since I bought it (no reading from the dial while driving, but the indicator blinks when starting). Looking through the Bentley, I've been trying to identify the sender on the engine. I put up a photo :

http://picasaweb.google.com/geisenpa/VanagonCoolantSender02#5361762619144420914

From what I can tell, the red arrow is pointing to the coolant temperature gauge sender; blue arrow to the oil pressure switch; and green arrow to the glow plug relay sender. There is no wire attached to the sensor labeled by the red arrow. This may be the obvious problem, just wanted to see if anyone knows for sure this is right. I can't locate any extra connector hanging around that may have come dislodged. Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your knowledge and stories!

Pete -82 diesel westy