Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:15:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 Diesel coolant temp sender location
Comments: To: Pete Geisen <geisenpa@GMAIL.COM>

there are two temp senders, of course, one for gauge, one for glow plug circuit.

normally .......the temp sender that's in the water outlet on the side of the engine, is the one for the temp gauge, and it's a red and yellow wire I think. ( op pressure is the blue/black wire........for many years of VW )

the two senders are interchangeable. for testing of a temp gauge, just remove wire from sender, and ground the temp sender wire and turn on the key. Temp gauge should go to full deflection rapidly.

don't forget the Voltage Stabilizer on the back of the instrument cluster, a tiny thing mounted with one screw. For any dash gauge weirdness, always consider that part. it's common to have a poor connection at T14, the main plug to the instrument cluster. be very, very gentle with that connection ! I just unplugged one back and forth a few times..........like I always do ........ then suddenly no dash lights . I dig into it .......several of the delicate strips of copper from the printed circuit were ripped out of place and broken. and not easy to fix. So always suspect that connection, and always be very, very gentle with it. I think I'll start using dielectric grease there or something .... something to lube it......even WD-40, which I have always had great results with on electrical things.

Scott www.turbovans.com congrats on having your new diesel vanagon !

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Geisen" <geisenpa@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:12 PM Subject: 82 Diesel coolant temp sender location