Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:45:03 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How long to get propane purged from scratch?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Jim Felder<jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > I blew out an outlet valve a few weeks back and got a new one from > Frank Condelli. I got it installed this morning. Everything is checked > for leaks and OK. Trouble is, I can barely get my burners lit and > they're showing the feeblest flame even wide open after burning for 20 > minutes. Is my regulator gone too, and is there anything I can do > about it? I've got to be gone in if for a week starting tuesday. > > If it takes a lot longer than that, fine, I'll let it continue to > burn. But if I'm going to get something overnighted for monday > install, I'd better get cranking.

Hi Jim.

Re: purging.

My new tank has the auto fill valve and bleed valve. Your tank may be the same. If so.....

I thought purging a new, or "opened" tank, with propane, involved a more complex method than what was done on my new tank. (see my other post and link below) Here's what I did. I'd suggest asking the shop that did the work to confirm.

LP jockey opened bleed valve, then began filling. This allowed air to come out of bleed valve. (it's lighter than LP right?) This may take 2 or more "fills".

As for small flame....

Is valve opened all the way? (CCW) Maybe debris clogging one of the lines? (work on tank "knocked" some loose?)

A regulator is not much money. Assuming your current one is a 2 stage modern type, likely you could find the same one and get it installed w/o having to move (adjust) position of copper lines.

Extra reading.

I noticed the orifice on POL end of my old regulator (screws into main valve) is tiny. Pretty sure new is same. One of the reasons for purging a new tank, I've read, is due to moisture being present.

IF moisture present, I wonder if it would ice up the small orifice on regulator?

Read about it here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id45.html

from that page

"NPGA Bulletin 139-89 (a) states that all new containers (ASME Tanks - [MH] & DOT Cylinders [Trailer cylinders], including Motor Fuel containers) and in some cases used containers, may contain water, air, or other contaminants, and it is essential that these be removed before filling the container and placing it into service. Water vapor present in the gas vapor may cause regulator freeze ups at the inlet."

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines