Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:50:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wobbly Seats
Comments: To: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM>

it could be lack of those little black plastic strips Geo ......... but I find regular non-swivel seats working fine anyway with at least on of those missing, and the seat is not floppy or loose.

I have seen ......on the seat swivels.........under the top part that turns ...... 4 white plastic bushings that are bearing points for the rotating 'turntable' top. I wonder if those are gone on yours . I'm not sure that all years of seat swivels have those either , but I know some version do for sure. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Geo & Kathleen Hahn" <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 12:57 PM Subject: Wobbly Seats

On a recent trip my passenger side front seat (84 Westy) coughed up a small bit of plastic. Later, during a seat adjustment, it ejected a strip of black plastic about 6 or 8 inches long. I recall seeing this piece when I had the seat removed in the past and supposed it was some sort of sliding shim that help the seat move yet remain stable. Anyway, it's apparently toast. The questions:

Are these available? Would there have been 2 per seat originally? If they are NLA is there a alternative?

Right now the seat seems to have a lot of side-to-side wobble and as the bolts on the 'turntable' are snugged up I expect these missing pieces are the cause. Not bad on the long & straight roads but most of our driving is mountain twisties and my passenger doesn't care for the extra tossing about.

TIA for any advice offerred.

Geo Hahn