Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 2009 22:19:29 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Odo/Trip Counter

I've had my odometer conk out twice. First time a friend helped me replace it, we set it to roughly what the mileage should have been. (I'd driven from Louisiana to North Carolina with it broken, so I didn't know for sure.) Second time it was replaced at a repair shop. They did not reset it to the actual mileage, said that is illegal. They did give me an official statement that documented what the mileage was before they replaced it. If I should ever do something as dreadful as selling Matilda (only marginally better than selling my firstborn, of course), I'd pull out that document, if I can find it, to show the buyer what the mileage actually is. (No one would believe that she's only got 22,000 miles on her!)

So if you want to be legal, you might have to put up with a new mileage reading. If they fix it, rather than replacing it, then presumably this isn't an issue. Try calling your mechanic and asking!

Joy