Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:21:48 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake work pictures
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

nice write-up there Jim. and you obviously put some time and effort into writing it.

I would add that to push the pistons back , I just pry between the edge of the disc and the face of the old pad. I use a square shaft large screw driver for that , works perfectly. And......it's really better to open the bleed vavle ( put a hose on it, to a jar ) when pushing the pistons back ..........that way the old brake fluid goes into the jar, and not back up into your master cylinder, possibly doing harm. Also..........you are speaking of the twin piston calipers used until 1985......... if the person asking has an 86 or later vangon .......it's a sliding caliper design with one piston ......a different deal altogether ...... so someone with an 86 or later vanagon could get confused by instructions for the early calipers.

on the two piston early type ...........I find a lot of outer pistons kinda stuck, or solidly stuck. Usually worse on the right side of the van. so watch for that. For a very stick or firmly stuck piston ..........the right repair is a rebuilt caliper of course . For kinda stuck but not badly stuck caliper pistons - I don't know anyone else who does this beside me , but you 'exersize them' . Best done with two people. You pry one piston back in ( bleed valve closed ) with a lever, relax that tension, have the other person step on the brake pedal to move the piston back out, then they relax, then you pry it back, then they push it out again with the brake pedal etc. Run the piston back and forth ........do it about 10 times or so. max 3/8 inch travel or so ..........with new brake fluid in there too ............that can extend their life fairly well and help the piston move smoothly again.

I would never replace any brake pads or parts without at least changing the brake fluid to that wheel, or to that end of the van. Period.

wheel bearings ..... amazing how well those last ! I know of dozens and dozens of vanagons where the front wheel brgs havn't 'ever' been atteneded to in anyway, but they havn't fialed. Usually I just clean them up, put on really good synthetic grease, and adjust them carefully. Particularily the larger inner ones. The smaller outer ones are weaker, especially on eariler vans...........like 1982.....the outer whl brg is a little light duty for the application. By 1985 they have a different spindle and better outer wheel bearing. VW loves to underbuild, then upgrade, as the years go by. So for sure, 82 9 ( and earlier I image ) front wheel bearings are a bit weak, but with proper lube and ajustment, they last quite well too. I doubt I've ever had to replace any of the later years front wheel bearings, in 2WD anyway.

let's see..........Oh ! it IS Friday ,, well ....let me see if I can think of a trivia question. ( working 7 days a week one looses track after all ) how about this one - What is the first production application of inboard front disc brakes ? what model and what year was it introduced.......what car was that on ?

additionally..........what did that caliper look like ( it doesn't look like calipers as we commonly know them, same in principle......but entirely different looking ) So describe what it looks like, and where was the parking brake on that car as well ? .........like which wheels did the parking brake work on. And finally ....... what would be the purpose or advantage/s of inboard front disc brakes ?

scott turbovans.com

( sometime I'll ask what car < there's more than one make that does this > uses the rear axle ( half shaft is a more accurate term than 'axle' ) as a suspension member, in addition to its normal function of driving the wheel ? ) It would be like a rear axle with CV joints on our vanagons , where the axle was part of the suspension too, not just for wheel driving. what car uses that system ? (hint - that car has inboard disc brakes too, btw, and twin shocks at each wheel, at that end of the car )

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Felder" <jim.felder@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 5:22 PM Subject: Re: Re: Brake work pictures