Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:55:56 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Kudo's to Dennis Haynes and his frame mount receiver hitch.
Comments: To: Ed McLean <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Giving it more thought - you are dead right!!

Not a good idea - both rear wheels off the ground simultaneously.

Safer doing first one, place a jack stand - then the other, place a jack stand.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Ed McLean wrote: > No! No! No! No! No! It's not a kool idea. It's a very bad idea. > > Do not ever use a highlift type jack to raise the end of a vehicle. It will > fall over. > > > If you lift both rear wheels off the ground there is nothing to keep the van > from twisting to either side or rolling forward or backwards and falling off > the jack. The highlift jack just doesn't offer that type of support. Your > parking brake won't work and even if you have a Syncro, the front wheels > will rotate in opposite directions as your precious vehicle fell off the > jack. You would have to chock both front wheels both front and rear > extremely securely and that just can't be done, even if they were lashed > down with chains. Jacking up the side of a vehicle is completely different > than jacking up the end of a vehicle. > > A jack of this type will just not offer any support to a lateral force of a > vehicle falling off the jack. A standard hydraulic floor jack is much > different and offers much greater support to resist a lateral force. > > This is very dangerous. Don't do this, not even for just enough time to get > jack stands in place. > > Ed McLean > > > > On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:43:48 -0500, John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> wrote: > > >> Kool idea!! Just don't forget to open the rear hatch and take out the >> jack stands before lifting the van with the wagon wheel jack (old name >> for highlift jack) You won't be able to get you rear hatch open. >> >> I think I will get myself one of those highlift jack just for the purpose. >> >> John Rodgers >> 88 GL Driver >> >> Bob Stevens wrote: >> >>> Although not Dennis's finely crafted and stout leverage-point, I have >>> some tube bumpers that have receivers in each, front/rear, that have >>> stood up to being used to pull me out of a steep canyon in Moab, so I >>> trust these are reliable. >>> >>> My point ... I just got a high lift jack and had thought of using it >>> to lift the entire end of the van for placing of jackstands. This may >>> afterall, work. ;-) ... with caution and chocks. >>> >>> bob >>> >>> Unbeknownst to me, the man put a single jack under the >>> >>> >>>> receiver tube on the hitch and jacked up the rear with the one jack. I >>>> happened to go out and I spotted it. I was flabbergasted. Terrible shop >>>> craft - there are jack points right?? I did say something to the >>>> manager, but the damage was done, and I was curious to see what the >>>> situation was going to wind up being. Well, it would seem that hitch >>>> held up just fine. The square tube cross piece didn't bend - heck! it >>>> didn't even bow the slightest. >>>> >>>> I gotta hand it to Dennis. That trailer hitch is hell-for-stout, and I >>>> would recommend it to anyone!! >>>> >>>> >>> >>> > > >