Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:44:15 -0700
From:         Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM>
Subject:      Sliding Door Handle

The sliding door handle on by 84 Westy droops (about 30 degrees) when the door is open -- as I recall it used to snap smartly back up into the level postion after opening. It returns to level when the door is closed.

The screw on the backside of the handle shaft is tight. The handle itself is not bent or broken, it is a replacement that has been on there for about 12 years but has no other issues. The usual assortment of gaskets & escutcheon appear to be in place.

That said, I suspect the fault lies inside the latch mechanism itself which is secured to the leading edge of the door by a pair of allen-head bolts that are likely wicked tight.

Since the mechanism (what I can see of it) seems to be a combination of a Swiss watch and a Claymore mine I am reluctant to start taking it apart without a plan.

Am I likely to be able to fix this thing (perhaps a spring is broken or unhooked)?

Or... is disasembly hopeless and I am better off to replace the unit with a presumably good used part?

Or... should I just live with it?

My concern with doing nothing is that it is telling me that someday it will fail completely. Another concern is that if the handle is not held level whilst closing it gets abruptly jerked level as the door latches (that can't be too good long term).

Any advice welcome. As you may have noticed, I am working thru a punch list of issues, some arising on a recent trip, others just stuff I've been putting off. Thanks to those who have helped me so far.

Geo Hahn