Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:22:58 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Door Chime madness
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>

was gonna say the same thing. just pul that sucker out of there. I want to leave the key in while I work on it etc... don't want to hear that thing ever. That 'should' fix it, although .........the 'leakage' making it sound faitly, is of concern. Makes me wonder if all electricity is finding it's way cleanly to the consuming devices, and they are getting their full shot of power cleanly. In other words, resistance to devices is minimal, and grounds are good.

in an ideal cirucit all the voltage drop of the circuit occures in the consuming device , and switches and wires leading to it transfer full power to the device, and don't use up any power themselves. Same is true for the ground side and connections .............that's not supposed to use up any voltage either.

The total volatage drop in the circuit will be equal to the voltage availale. We want the majority of the total voltage drop to occur in the device, not in wires, switches or conenctions. If the resistance of those is high..........part of the voltge drop will occur in those poor connections or old wires, and not as much in the device. Say the circuit has 12.8 volts.. we'd love to see say, the device getting and using up 12.6 volts, and the rest of the circuit .2 volts, it's possible for resistance elsewhere in the circuit to be say ..........3 volts total, so then the device only gets 9.8 volts ( of 12.8 total available ) . your comment about 'faintly chiming' made me think there is voltage not going where it should, or not going where it's not suppossed to go.

If any electrical guru's want to correct my 'total voltage' drop in the circuit words , fire away. It's also fun to measure voltge drop across a ground connection. I think I read that max alloable is about 300 millivolts, or .3 volts. If more voltage is dropped by a ground point than that, resistance has built up there. you mearsure this by energizing the circuit, then putting the probes of a DVOM on both sides of the ground point ........and see what voltage you see dropping across that ground point, 'Zero' would be ideal. 300 milivolts it the upper acceptable range,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jake de Villiers" <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:03 PM Subject: Re: Door Chime madness