Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:03:23 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wow! how bout this guy?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

'conspicuity' ? 'normally' before various factors started to degrade how we use American English .. the word would be 'consipicousness.'

well whatiya knonw .........dictionary.com shows it, right after 'conspicuousness' and mentions the relective tape connection. I guess the tape people brought the word into usage. Can I get some help with enhancing the conspicuity of my slower diesel vangagons please ? ( sounds werid ) At least it's not a noun verbized ! lol. oh........PS, on what started this thread. I think a rise , like the top of a hill, was a factor in this near mishap. Needless to say ..........any time you are approaching a rise ............there is a blind spot right there in front of you . Like if you approach at 60, and your stopping distance from 60 mph is say 150 feet..... you come over the crest, there's something 100 feet past the crest that you couldn't see until reaching the crest .... you are actually overdriving for what you can see ahead. I call these 'moving blind spots' .........like when a huge truck is turning across in front of you, and you are just 'sure' there's nothing behind the truck, so you act like there isn't ......but sometimes there is ! - that kind of 'moving blind spot.'

same when you are downhill from a crest .......you're in someones blind spot at they come over the crest - a spot you never want to be stopped in of course. And ......I see cops dumb enough to sit by the side of the freeway doing paperwork or whatever..... with cars wizzing by just a few feet away at 60 to 70 .......that is very, very unneccsary and unwise exposure to risk. A famous speed skier got killed that way.........VW rabbit broke down on a freeway at night, he crashed out in the back seat ...... a drunk came along and.......you know. so watch from those moving or 'invisible' blind spots !! We need every loyal and didicated vanagon owner/operator/home technican we can get ! glad you were safe Don. scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:35 PM Subject: Re: Wow! how bout this guy?