Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:48:17 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wow! how bout this guy?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

> > 'S what the truck people call -- no lie -- "conspicuity tape!" Google > conspicuity, which apparently has become a word in the last ten years or so, > and you'll find lots of sources for the stuff. > > -- > David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ > '89 Po' White Star "Scamp" >

Conspicuity! Hmm, sounds like a lower intestinal problem...

Actually, I wouldn't do that to my Van because I value it's 'inconspicuity' too much, especially when I am traveling and camping. I tend to find informal campsites along my routes, sites that I depend on not being noticed as one way to assure I am not bothered. I love my dull "poop-brown" paint as it blends in most everywhere and I don't get so many..."Hey Lookie, Ma, there's someone camped out there, must be a good place, let's camp there too" That happened to us in Baja all too often...We would search long and hard to find a nice deserted peice of beach, set up camp only to have a couple of gringos camp right nearby immediatly...even when there was 5 empty miles of that particular beach to choose from and thousands of miles of empty Baja...We once even had some people ask us if they could tie their tent guys onto our Alaskan...with all seriousness...

I tend to try to find difficult to access spots but sometimes I just tuck in at the back of a parking lot somewhere along the roads for a quick overnight and a bunch of reflecting tape would draw unwelcome eyes. When pulled into a forest service dirt road I don't want a stray headlight from a passing car on the highway or someone cruising around on an adjacent road to get a flash from my 'reflectors' because people are such 'herd animals' and they tend to cozy-up and that bugs me..

I find my roof mounted Unity police spotlight to be really handy for finding great overnight campsites..I can get good light on roads without actually having to point the headlights there..We often slow up while on the highway very late and use that spotlight (when there is no oncoming traffic, of course) to pick up side roads as we approach...

I am looking to brighten up my vehicle lights, both tail lights and my parking light/turn signals in front. I've noticed on one turn I make often that vehicles waiting to see what I am going to do often miss my turn signals flashing until I am pretty close...

Don Hanson