Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:34:04 -0400
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      conspicuity

Howdy List,

I glanced at a few of the recent posts on the thread where an idiot driver almost caused some serious incidents. I'm sure glad that no crashes resulted from the attempted reverse in traffic, it sounds like it could have been very bad.

I thought I'd chime in on the addition of reflective material on the back of the van. I also like to not have reflectors all over my van all the time as one poster mentioned. In order to have reflectors when I most need them, but to have a normal looking van the rest of the time, I stuck on the red 3m reflective tape on the back of the driver and passenger door and on the bottom of the rear hatch.

If one of the two front doors is partially open then back of the door (where the latch bits are) and subsequently the reflectors show. This way I can partially latch those doors if I'm on the side of the road and I gain a short strip of red reflector near the front of the van. I really like that when I open my door at night to get out and traffic is coming alongside they see the appearance of a red spot as the door opens. The space on level with the drip rail (in the middle of the door vertically) at back of the door (back is towards the engine end of the van) is where I applied the reflectors.

The other place that I added the red tape is along the bottom of the rear hatch. When on the side of the road at night with the rear hatch up there is then a nice red reflective bar across the bottom of the rear hatch which is facing oncoming traffic. Again, this doesn't show with the hatch down but a big red bar about 6 feet off of the ground is a good thing in some situations, namely when trying to fiddle with an engine in the dark with traffic rushing by (should help concentration slightly). It has only happened to me once that I was on the side of the interstate at night but ever since I've slowly been upping my visibility in case it happens again. Maybe a road worker will give me one of their nice reflective vests that I can wear should I find myself in a late night road side maneuver?

Now for extra blinkers up high (for driving and more aft blinking hazards while on road side) and a good third brake light. I get sick of folks not noticing my blinkers,, I'm sure ya'll know what I'm talking about. Maybe they just don't want me to pull in front of them as it is likely to slow them down?

Jonathan Poole '83 AC Westy.