Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:03:21 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2wd Bilstein shocks, do they wear out?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I live in the Columbia River Gorge and drive an 84 van. It gets pushed around here. Heck, my ford diesel 4x4 truck gets pushed around here by the gusty winds. One thing I changed recently that helps quite a bit is I lowered the tire pressure in my fronts to the psi the door sticker says I should run. I was up about 6psi higher. Makes a big difference. The van still gets buffetted around, but if you leave the steering wheel alone it continues down the road pretty straight...it just feels like it's gonna dive into the river but it doesn't.... I don't think there is much you can do, what with the shape of a Vanagon, in winds that are often gusting at 60+mph and have to blow around cliffs and canyons..That is why they have all the signs warning about "strong gusty winds" alongside the interstate... We windsurfers like it when a condition called "smoke" occurs. Gusts hit the surface of the river and actually blow so hard they pick up the water and turn it into what looks like smoke. We don't even get our boards out to sail till the wind gets up to around 25mph and us "locals" do not bother till it blows about 35 or more.. Factor in all the rotory air currents created by the topography of the Gorge and you'll get some unpredictable behavior from your Vanagon no matter what kind of suspension or tires you have.