Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:50:51 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: gov't sure fire way to destroy an engine Re: about oil
              additives
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

I agree, like no smog tests, reasonable registration fees and cars that don't rot away at the first sign of winter. I'm actually a transplant, what some down here would call a "Damn Yankee" from Western NY State. We used to say "on a quit night, you can hear a Ford rust" and we meant it!

But I see the "cash for clunkers" signs all over Huntsville and on Sunday, I saw a lot of potential buyers window shopping, more than I remember seeing any other weekend. And they weren't just at Chrysler & Chevy. They were also at Honda, Nissan & Toyota - so much for this being a windfall just for American car manufacturers. I didn't ride my BMW by Ford because they were out of my way.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave Our Web Sites: www.kegkits.com http://www.kegkits.com/JABF/ www.stir-plate.com www.andyshotsauce.com 256-656-1924

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Felder [mailto:jim.felder@gmail.com] Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 9:34 PM To: Tom Hargrave Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: gov't sure fire way to destroy an engine Re: about oil additives

Another illustration of my motto: the problem isn't big government, it's big influence. It's come to this to ensure that the auto industry sells cars. Your industry wants money? Give me what you got and I'll write you a law.

I'm betting it will be many, many years before this problem hits here in Alabama, though, John and Tom (since we and Unca Joel are the Alabama contingent). There are some good things that come from being "behind the times."

Jim

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Tom Hargrave<thargrav@hiwaay.net> wrote: > This is actually very sad. How did we let our Government get this out of > control???? > > Thanks, Tom > 256-656-1924 > > -----Original Message----- > From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> > To: "vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: 7/27/09 2:35 PM > Subject: Re: gov't sure fire way to destroy an engine Re: about oil > additives > > I work with Sodium Silicate all the time in my pottery operations. . > When this stuff goes through an engine - it's death is permanent - never > to be resurrected again. > > Next thing you know "They" will be dictating that no engine replacements > or engine upgrade swaps of newer engines into older vehicles are to be > permitted either. > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > > Jim Akiba wrote: >> I wonder if any vanagons are going to be euthanized via this program. >> Here is the official government procedure for the dealers to ensure >> engines are destroyed when you go to trade in the vanagon for a kia >> ha.   It's disturbing in many ways.  I thought this was particularly >> relevant to vanagons owners because vanagon owners tend to use >> recycled parts, including engines for upkeep and conversions. >> >> >> >> Appendix B to Part 599 - Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS > Program >> Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program >> THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER >> Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine. >> Since the vehicle will not be drivable after this procedure is > performed, >> consider where the procedure will be performed and how the vehicle >> will be moved after the procedure is complete. >> 1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium > Silicate >> (SiO2/Na2O) used in the solution must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or > greater.) >> 2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal. >> 3. Install the oil drain plug. >> 4. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil > pump to >> circulate the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts > of the >> solution, which should be sufficient in most cases. >> CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing >> should be worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact > with the >> skin. >> 5. Replace the oil fill cap. >> 6. Start the engine. >> 7. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not > operate at >> high rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate > for 3 to 7 >> minutes. As the solution starts to affect engine operation, the > operator will >> have to apply more throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.) >> 8. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour. >> 9. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide >> the power of >> a fully charged battery, attempt to start the engine. >> 10. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete. >> 11. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 6 through 10 >> until the engine >> will no longer idle. >> 12. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following: >> This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate >> System (CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating >> the engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of > oil. >> >> >> >