Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:18:15 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Bearing Problem - Any Ideas??

OK,

Just replaced front rotors both sides with brand new ones. Installed and seated the new bearing races - no problem. Greased the pucky out of the races, the new bearings, and generally all over. Assembled the whole thing on the spindle with all the appropriate parts, tightened the spindle nut snuggly, then backed off the nut slightly. Pulled the guide pins, cleaned, greased, re-installed with new accordion rubber dust covers. Remounted the calipers, and torqued the bolts. Installed the wheels, torqued the bolts, the spun the wheels while adjusting the torque on the spindle nut so the wheel would turn three times before stopping. Rocked each wheel to check the amount of play in the bearings. There was a tiny bit - appropriate. peened the spindle nut and put the end caps back on. Secured the speedo cable with the circlip. Then gave it a test run.

Unexpectedly I got a big whine from the front end. The faster I went, the louder the whine. Rocked the steering wheel back and fourth - whine would "winnow" or "wow" - ie, change pitch.

I am mystified. As I see it, this was about the most perfect brake job with new rotors and bearings that I have been privy to participate in. Yet, there is a problem whose cause is not obvious. I'm not at all sure where to look.

The only thing I can say more on is that the bearings said "Made in China" on the box.

BTW, all these parts were a local purchase from a reputable imported car parts supply house.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver