Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:10:18 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Oil Cooler

I did the pull the threaded tube out method and it was really easy. No loosening or stressing the hoses, no spilled coolant, etc. I found the big nut on the threaded tube holding the cooler up to the block was actually barely tight. I might have stopped the leaking just by tightening that. I used the top part of an oil filter as my second nut. I had one from BD that got mashed in shipping and they replaced it for free, so I just cut the top off of it. You could use an old one too, but that would be messy. Anyway, it was a very easy job with this method. But I wonder if it would be a good idea to replace those hoses anyway for most of us. They seem like ones you don't want to deal with on the side of the road.

Edward

At 08:24 PM 7/27/2009, Dave Arthur wrote: >I thought I'd ask the question before I started work ... :-) > >'86 2.1 MV > >I have ordered a gasket (modified O ring) that goes between the engine block >and the heat exchanger that is mounted above the oil filter. It seems to be >relatively straight forward, remove the oil filter, remove the nut on the >oil pipe, lower the exchanger and replace the gasket. > >The reason I'm doing this is that there is always a drip of oil in this >location. I could torque the nut on the next oil change, but I'm thinking a >cleanup and new gasket may be better. > >Do the coolant hoses need top be removed or is there enough slack? Opinions? > >Best Regards > >D