Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:59:27 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: gov't sure fire way to destroy an engine Re: about oil
              additives
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

who cares what it's called, more or less. the issue to me is ... isn't just like humans to figure out the 'best' way to kill or destroy what they produce ? sick. It also makes our precious nice old not-too-complicated and THEY STILL HAVE PERSONALITY cars and vans more valuable ! Like art treasures hidden away during WWII........ we few diehards will continue to enjoy and savor our wonderful well-loved 'goodies but oldies' vans.

And let them drive Highlanders and Prius's. and they will remember, fondly .......... the days when ...............'hey, didn't we have great fun in our old Westy back then !!? .........and remember, .........you could actually work on it yourself ! and .......it didn't lock the doors on you as soon as you started to drive, and you could open the hood..... and actually recongize some of the parts there on the engine . Wow Mary, wasn't that really wonderful ?! .......too bad we let the gov 'buy our hearts' and put us in new crazy cars. AND ...........they make it sound like a 3,500 to 4,500 'gift' of free money for your old car ....... but ..........they don't mention, most people will still be financing 15- plus thousand dollars on that new car, with it's monthy car payment, full insurnace coverage, etc. So you get your new roundy 'wahtever ' ..........and you pay 250 a month for years ...... and you can't camp in it. Seems like a scam to me. and I get the whole environmental aspect of it , for sure. Not saying drving 15,000 miles a year at 18 mpg is very PC ........ but we can use these wonderful old-tech vans repsonsibly if we want to. and we can upgrade them to more modern engines nicely too.

I'm starting to see vanagons shift over a bit from 'purely useful and desireble viable daily-use vehciles' ........to more of a 'it's a miricle that these old beuuties even exist anymore - a bit more in the collectible and 'special and occaisonal use' direction.

And highly precious in every regard. And 'no' ...........the gov can't buy me like that, thank you. I can't blaim the normal consumer though becuase they may indeed have trouble keeping vanaogns working properly. It's not hard to fix them right ....... that's pretty easy actually, though it can take quite some effort at time. And paying someone to do that ..........you kinda can't ...........'regular shops' can't spend 8 hours , or 15 if that what it takes, to really sort through a weird problem ....... so regualr consumers are stuck between a rock and a hard place somewhat, at times for sure ...... but as cars go ...... particularily in light of much more complicated very modern cars ...............vanagons are pretty simple. the hard part is getting a human to find the little glitches, and that really enjoys the process. I have an 84 westy right here behind me......... 'looses power' when driving. we'll see what it is. When I last did head work on it, I made a note to check the fuel filter. my plan of attack is check fuel pressure, fuel delivery, the fuel filter, and if it's drawing fuel out of the tank properly, and that is has mainly gasoline in it, and not water or somethign else. then think about the air flow meter if that all checks out. then all the 'usual' stuff ! later, Scott www.turbovans.com preserver and restorer of vanagons and other interesting 'older' cars ....... back when ordinary cars had soul, and didn't smell mainly of plastic.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:51 AM Subject: Re: gov't sure fire way to destroy an engine Re: about oil additives